2014年9月30日火曜日

Follow- up Sessions About Database

Hola mi amigos!

So on Monday the 30th, we got to hear a lecture about using the databases in ICU, from Ms. Tonegawa. This time, she gave us an opportunity to be in groups and a mission to complete. My group used the Gale Virtual Reference Library, which seemed very handy. It gave clear definitions of “hate speech” with much variety of sources. Including other three databases that were introduced by other groups looked very useful as well. I really appreciate the fact that they only show the reliable sources and the citation all set for us to see. Plus, as Dan said, some of these files can be saved on Zotera. Amazing. LexisNexis really caught my attention because it had many ways to sort out which newspapers we want to search such as by dates, name of company, etc.. (thus, it was the one Mizuki introduced me before!) I will make sure to have a good use of these useful databases in the next four years. I hope Ms. Tonegawa will share us other handy databases again! (well maybe I need to search out from myself...)

 Speaking of “Hate Speech,” what did you guys think about this topic? Personally, I think it is nonsense. It is said that, Prime Minister Mr. Abe will or he MUST do something before the Tokyo Olympic in 2020. Even a 14 year old Japanese girl at Osaka took action by posting posters that says “No Hate, Share Love.” As a Japanese citizen I thought I need to rethink over about this topic, due to the fact that we are learning race, gender, and ethnicity this term.

Thank you for reading. Have a great week ya'll!

3 件のコメント:

  1. Hello and otsukare with our CWTs! I also thought zotero is such an amazing tool! we can just collect our sources there and that is just so cool.
    About the hate speech, I also think it is nonsense. it is so unfair to insult the innocent people living in Japan just because they have different nationality. They have nothing to do with political stuff and how do people participating hate speech know about other's life right? I hope hate speech will fade in a peaceful way.

    返信削除
  2. Hi Yuko. I wondered if someone would let us know other handy tools as well. But, on second thought, this is such class in fact. Every Monday, we become better users of those tools. That sounds great, isn't it?? I agree with you that Mr Abe must do something to improve the situation before 2020 Olympics. We Japan have to be responsible for upcoming and ongoing problems for we are hosting international events. You raised my awareness of it. Thank you!

    返信削除
  3. Hello, Yuko. Thank you for you comment on my blog. I'll comment on yours too. When I read your writing, I always think that you are really good at good. Its construction is good and the sentences are well organized. I will follow you.
    We Japanese have a right to freedom of speech, however, it does't mean that we are allowed to discriminate other. I can't understand why the hate speech exists in Japan.

    返信削除